What does farm insurance cover in Chestermere?
What’s covered by farm insurance in Chestermere depends on your insurance company and individual policy. A comprehensive farm insurance policy can include coverage for:
- Your home
- Your personal property
- Outbuildings including barns, sheds, and storage facilities
- Machinery, equipment and tools
- Crops or agricultural products
- Farm vehicles
Chestermere farm insurance is essentially a combination of a home and commercial policy with unique customization for farms.
Farm Home & Personal Property in Chestermere
Your home and personal property is insured on a farm just as it would be in town. This includes coverage for:
- Physical Damage – if your home or personal property is damaged in a covered claim, your insurance will help pay for repairs, replacement or rebuilding.
- Additional Living Expenses – If you’re forced from your farm due to a mandatory evacuation or covered claim, your additional living expenses may be covered (I.e. difference in accommodation, transportation, and food costs).
- Personal Liability – if someone is hurt or has their property damaged when visiting your home or due to your unintentional actions, your legal expenses may be covered.
Talk to your Chestermere farm insurance broker for more details on what the home portion of your farm insurance covers.
Farm Outbuildings in Chestermere
Physical damage to your farm’s outbuildings can be covered from perils like:
- Impact by vehicle
- Vandalism and other crimes
Make sure you tell your farm insurance broker of all the outbuildings you wish to insure, including where they are located and what they’re used for. Your broker will likely have additional questions.
Farm Machinery, Equipment and Tools
Your farm’s machinery, equipment and tools are essential to keeping your Chestermere farm operating. Insurance can protect these essentials from a variety of perils.
Our Chestermere farm insurance brokers often recommend equipment breakdown coverage for any essential equipment. This covers repairs and replacement of equipment that suffers a mechanical or electrical breakdown – normally not covered by a physical damage farm insurance policy. This ensures your farm can get back up and running more quickly with less financial impact to you.
Livestock in Chestermere
Farm insurance can include protection for your livestock, including:
If you insure your livestock, you can be covered if they pass away due to a variety of causes. This includes many environmental reasons (such as fire or drowning). Some insurers will also offer coverage for medical causes (like bloat or accidental injury) but this will usually have an additional cost.
Farm insurance can include protection for your processed agricultural products, including:
- And more!
Farm liability insurance can include your personal liability and commercial liability. Here’s what this means:
- Personal liability – if someone gets hurt or has their property damaged while visiting your home or due to your unintentional actions and sues, this can cover the legal expenses and damages.
- Commercial liability – if someone gets hurt or has their property damaged while on the farm and sues, this can cover legal expenses and damages.
If you live on your farm near Chestermere, your farm insurance will include personal liability.
If you have vehicles use for farm work or registered to your farm, you should have a special insurance policy. Farm vehicles are often used differently than normal vehicles – they have lower kilometres and may carry farm equipment. This policy is related to your farm insurance but is technically separated.